Buffalo DriveStation 2TB External Hard Drive review
The Buffalo DriveStation 2.0TB USB 2.0 External Hard Disk Drive is probably best described as one of the simplest value-for-money external hard drives available to buy on the market today – both in terms of installation and ongoing use. It’s a USB 2.0 drive that is plug and play straight out of the box, and has an intelligent power saving system that works in tandem with your computer. The 2TB drive can store an enormous number of files, and back ups can be scheduled to automatically run whenever you connect to your PC or Mac. All in all a solid performer.
Main Features of the Buffalo DriveStation 2.0TB USB 2.0 External Hard Disk Drive:
- Easy to install & use: one of the main selling points of the Buffalo Drivestation is its simplicity to install and use. It is a plug’n’play drive, meaning it will auto-install straight out of the box without having to be formatted. The backup software can also be configured to run on connection to your computer as well, both for PCs and Macs. The drive also has an auto power on/off function that works in tune with your computer (sleeps when not in use, turns off when disconnected)
- 2TB disk capacity: this 2TB model of the Buffalo Drivestation makes it perfect if you have a large number of photos, videos, songs or other digital files you want to back up, for example if you have a significant photo collection you want to keep safe and secure without filling up your computer’s hard drive.
- Compact product size: the Buffalo Drivestation is a desktop drive so it’s never going to be the smallest and lightest external hard drive available to buy. However, for a desktop drive it is considered highly compact and easy to store, given that it can be positioned both vertically and horizontally to minimise impact on your working space.
Technical Features of the Buffalo DriveStation 2TB desktop hard drive:
- 2TB drive capacity (also available in 1TB capacity)
- USB 2.0 connection interface
- Plug’n’play straight out of the box, no additional drivers required
- Can be positioned both horizontally and vertically
- Auto installation
- Intelligent power-saving feature when in use
- Auto power-off function
- Product Size (WxDxH): 25 x 20 x 15 cm
- Weight: 948g
- Compatible with PC and Mac
- 24 month manufacturer warranty
- Preformatted in FAT-32, can be reformatted for Mac use
- AC adapter and USB lead included
The Buffalo DriveStation 2.0TB external drive is noted as being very easy to install and to use ongoing, and for being great value for money for a 2TB external drive. It’s also claimed to be pretty quiet too, and buyers are happy with the size of the drive not taking up too much space.
Here are a few comments from people who’ve bought the 2TB Buffalo DriveStation on Amazon:
- “Overall: Excellent, Money well spent”
- “The best external drive I have bought to date… quiet, quick and easy to use, not to mention great value for money!”
- “excellent, unpacked, plugged in, worked within a minute”
- “excellent value external 2TB hard drive”
- “Great value for a lot of storage”
- “it’s a brilliant drive and I am just about to order a second”
- “so pleased with this I ordered another one”
- “easy set up and lots of space, nice design and not too big”
- “excellent value for money too, recommend it highly”
For more on these and other Amazon buyer reviews, click here.
Who is the Buffalo DriveStation 2.0TB external hard drive perfect for?
This drive is great for anyone looking for a relatively cheap 2TB external hard drive that does just what it says on the box. If you’re short on time (or patience!), this is a pre-formatted plug and play drive that will work straight out of the box without the need to install any additional drivers for it to work. Once up and running, you can configure the backup software to run whenever you connect to the drive, saving you the effort of worrying about doing this manually. If you’re short on space, this is a compact drive for a 2TB desktop model, and can be slotted into your working environment either horizontally or vertically to make the best use of what space is available. The DriveStation has a fan base amongst those who use it for video/ film storage and editing, given the size of the drive and ease of use.
Where to find the best deal online for the Buffalo DriveStation 2TB desktop hard drive?
For the best deal available on Amazon click here, where the Buffalo DriveStation 2TB currently costs around £100. If you think the 2TB option might be too much for your needs, you can also get hold of a 1TB version of this hard drive (click here) instead. Given the desktop nature of this drive, you might want to think about getting hold of a flash drive (we recommend this one >> click here) to take with you when you do need to take your files out and about.
Got something to say? Click here to reply