Freecom 56067 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Quattro review
The Freecom 56067 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Quattro is one of the few external hard drives on the market that supports 4 connection types -hence Quattro presumably – namely FireWire 400, FireWire 800, USB 3.0 and eSATA. For its capacity, it’s really not that big, and will sit fairly innocuously on your desk, either flat or upright. Cleverly, the Quattro has been designed in such a way as to do away with the cooling fan, with heat absorbed through its aluminium frame instead, which is a neat solution and means the drive is virtually silent.
Main Features of the Freecom 56067 2TB USB 3.0 Quattro external drive
- Multiple connection interfaces: the “Quattro” comes with 4 different types of connection interface: Firewire 400, Firewire 800 (both suited for Mac users), eSATA and USB 3.0. Each of these provides faster transfer rates than standard USB 2.0 connection speeds – for eSATA this is up to 6 times as fast.
- 2TB disk capacity: the 2TB capacity of this drive will allow you to store up to 150 hours of film, 400,000 photos, or 500,000 songs, which is more than plenty for most people! This drive is ideal therefore if you’re backing up a significant number of large digital files, for instance if you’re backing up your entire hard drive.
- Flexible desktop drive: the Freecom 56067 Quattro can be stored either horizontally or vertically, and has no cooling fan meaning it’s incredibly quiet when running.
Technical Features of the Freecom 56067 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Quattro:
- Multiple connection interfaces: FireWire 400 & 800, USB 3.0, eSATA
- USB 2.0 backwards compatible
- eSATA connection 6x faster than standard USB 2.0
- 2TB drive capacity (also available in 1TB capacity)
- Can be positioned both horizontally and vertically
- Optimal internal airflow management
- No cooling fan to minimise noise
- Stylish aluminium enclosure
- 24 month manufacturer’s warranty included
- Unlimited free helpdesk support
- Manual & NeroBackItUp software comes pre-loaded
- Preformatted in FAT-32
- AC adapter included
- Product Size (WxDxH): 14.8 x 15.5 x 4.3 cm
- Weight: 2.2kg
- Compatible with PC and Mac (FireWire interface ideally suited for Mac users)
- Comes with eSATA, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and USB connection cables
The Freecom 56067 2TB Quattro external drive is recognised by buyers for 2 main reasons – firstly the amount of data it can hold (being a 2TB drive gives it immense capacity), and secondly the file transfer speeds across multiple connections.
Here are a few comments from people who’ve bought the Freecom 56067 2TB Quattro on Amazon:
- “works like a dream”
- “a silent, fast drive with lots of connection options”
- “fast, silent, has a great capacity and has a lot of connection options”
- “rely on for reliability and dependability… an excellent product”
- “the quality of product is well worth that price”
- “speed is excellent”
- “really impressed with its speed so much I bought another”
For more on these and other Amazon buyer reviews, click here.
The Freecom 56067 Quattro is an external drive designed for use as a desktop drive, and so is better suited to those planning to keep it in one place. It can be positioned both horizontally and vertically, so will slot into most working environments without much bother. If you’re looking to store a lot of files the 2TB storage capacity will really appeal, but the strength of this drive over others are the 4 different types of connection interface you can use. USB 3.0 will transfer files at a much faster rate than standard USB 2.0, and the Firewire connection is ideal if you’re using a Mac. If you really want to bring out the big guns, the eSATA connection performs up to 6x times faster than a standard USB 2.0 hard drive and is ideal for professional Audio/Video streaming and editing (given the lack of fan the drive is virtually silent), and authoring of large, uncompressed files.
Where to find the best deal online for the Freecom Quattro 2TB external drive?
Amazon have a great deal on this drive at the moment, reduced by 25% from the RRP price tag to about £200 which is an absolute bargain for the size of the drive and connectivity options provided. If you feel that the 2TB option will either be too much or too little, Freecom do also provide a 500GB (click here), 1TB (click here, currently available for a whopping £75 discount) and a supersized 3TB (click here) version of this drive as well.
Got something to say? Click here to reply