Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB Ultraslim Portable Hard Drive Review
As it says on the box, the Samsung S2 is an “ultraslim” external hard drive, designed for portability. Whilst it weighs in at just under 200g, it can still hold 1TB of data which is plenty for most people, and is USB powered, making it perfect for you if you’re out and about but need access to lots of large digital files. It has an auto backup function, and comes with pre-installed backup software, as well as a freebie travel case. The S2 is also plug’n’play straight from the box, meaning no tedious installation CDs and all the hassle that can bring!
Main Features of the Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB Ultraslim external drive
- Highly Portable: as it says on the box, it’s “ultraslim”! Smaller and lighter than almost any other external hard drive on the market, the Samsung S2 Portable matches desktop-sized capacity with a portable solution for those who need to carry massive amounts of digital content when they’re on the go.
- Protection built in: the Samsung S2 features two forms of protection for your data: “SafetyKey” safeguards your back-up data with a password while “SecretZone” creates a virtual drive which encrypts your data.
- Automated back-up: you can back-up on demand or use a pre-scheduled process to run in the background, making sure you have a back-up now matter how busy you are. The drive has a built in capacity gauge to let you see how much storage space has been used, how much is left and what is designated as backup.
Technical Features of the Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB Ultraslim Portable Hard Drive:
- Plug and play straight from the box for easy installation
- Inclusion of a USB on-board controller
- Streamlined for comfortable handling
- USB 2.0 powered, so no power supply required
- Compatible with PC and Mac
- 12 month manufacturer’s warranty included
- Anti-slip texture for secure gripping
- Built in capacity gauge
- Pre-loaded with back-up software
- Product Size (WxDxH): 82 x 111 x 19.5 mm
- Weight: 195 g
- Preformatted in NFTS (rather than FAT-32)
- Drive also comes with Galaxy Tab 8.9 Leather Pouch
- Available in a range of colours to match your personal taste
The Samsung S2 1TB drive is considered excellent value for money for the size of drive, and buyers comment specifically on how quiet it is when running. It is also highlighted as a great drive for Mac users, working seamlessly with Time Machine.
Here are a few comments from people who’ve bought the Samsung S2 Ultraslim drive:
- “A great little device”
- “Makes no noise at all”
- “Excellent hard drive!”
- “Extremely happy because of its ergonomics, size, quietness, and fast speed!”
- “Buy it. Excellent value.”
- “Syncs with Time machine seamlessly… If you have a mac, buy this to give you peace of mind.”
For more on these and other buyer reviews from Amazon, click here.
If you find that you need to take a lot of digital files with you for work, study or personal reasons, the benefits of the Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB Ultraslim Portable Hard Drive should be obvious. It’s lightweight, relatively small and USB powered, but can handle up to 1TB of data which is a massive amount (we’re talking 200,000 photos, 76 hours of film or 250,000 songs!). It’s also ideal for people who find themselves distracted or annoyed by the whirring of an external hard drive, as the S2 is pretty much silent when running. This drive is also great for plugging straight into a laptop (or Smart TV for that matter) to run films off, without clogging up your hard drive – useful for say a long flight or train journey.
Where to find the best deal online for the Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB Ultraslim Portable Hard Drive?
Amazon seems to have a permanent sale on for this drive, ranging anywhere from 15 – 50% at any time, currently pricing the drive at just £90 which is a great deal! The S2 does come with a leather pouch, but if you expect to throw it into a laptop or handbag to take it out and about with you, you may be after a more protective case like the IOMAX Protective EVA Case for this size of drive, also available at Amazon.
Got something to say? Click here to reply