Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-portable External Hard Drive Review
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex (500 GB model) lives up to its billing as one of the best portable – make that “ultraportable” – external hard drives available on the market today, and comes in a variety of storage sizes (including a chunky 1.5TB drive) and colours (red, silver, black, blue). Powered by USB connection, the GoFlex FreeAgent comes with a USB 2.0 interface as standard but Seagate provide an innovative upgrade option for USB 3.0, FireWire 800 or powered eSATA by pairing the device with a separately available cable.
Main Features of the SeaGate FreeAgent GoFlex 500GB portable hard drive:
- Ultraportable: first and foremost, this is an external hard drive that has been designed with portability in mind. It’s incredibly small and light, and being USB powered does not require any external power source to run.
- Choose your interface: the drive comes as USB 2.0 as standard, but you can upgrade to the interface of your choice, using GoFlex upgrade cables available in USB 3.0, FireWire 800 and powered eSATA offering speeds up to 10 x USB 2.0.
- GoFlex Storage System: by combining the FreeAgent drive with other GoFlex Storage System products you can enjoy your content on your TV, access files from any PC or Mac computer on your network, from a mobile device or via the internet while on-the-go.
- Ultra portable design
- USB 2.0 plug-and-play, no external power source required
- Potential to upgrade to USB 3.0, FireWire 800 or powered eSATA by pairing the drive with the appropriate GoFlex upgrade cable
- Easy interchange of upgrade cables across interface formats
- Access your content on your TV, any PC or Mac on your network, from a mobile device or the internet when on the go.
- Product Size (WxDxH): 12.5 x 8 x 1.3 cm
- Weight: 150g
- Easy-to-use preloaded Memeo backup software with encryption
- Compatible with PC and Mac
- 24 month limited manufacturer’s warranty
- NTFS driver for Mac included, allowing files to be stored and accessed interchangeably from PCs and Macs without reformatting
- USB 2.0 interface adapter and 18 inch cable included
Buyers on Amazon consider the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex to be an excellent external hard drive, providing great value for money for an easy to install and use portable hard drive. Those who have bought this drive also love that there are options to extend and upgrade the usefulness of the drive, using the upgrade cables that Seagate provides to reach much quicker data transfer speeds.
Here are a few comments from people who’ve bought the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex on Amazon:
- “Excellent drive and highly recommended”
- “Very easy to install and use”
- “Perfect little hard drive”
- “Small, reliable and that was good value”
- “Compliments to Seagate, for the price and quality it cannot be beaten
- “Totally quiet in operation and didn’t run warm”
- “I can’t believe so few companies make a reasonably priced product which offers this versatility”
- “A fantastic buy for those want a reliable backup system”
For more on these and other Amazon buyer reviews, click here.
As it says in the name, the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex is an ultraportable external hard drive, so will suit those who tend to take their files with them when they are out and about. At just 150g, this drive is one of the lightest on the market for the disk capacity you get. But the ultraportability extends further, in that you can access your files as part of the GoFlex Storage System, meaning you can be out and about without your drive and still get access via a mobile device, the internet or from any PC or Mac on your network, once it’s been set up. In fact, this drive would be ideal for those who use have to use both PCs and Macs in their day to day life, as the pre-installed NTFS driver allows you to both access and store files in a PC-compatible format.
Where can you find the best deal online for the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-portable External Hard Drive?
This great little drive is available to buy on Amazon for a great deal at the time of writing although prices differ for different coloured models. The drive is also available in sizes up to 1.5 TB, although again prices rise as disk capacity does. You can also pick up the easy-to-use GoFlex upgrade cables on Amazon, for USB 3.0, FireWire 800 or powered eSATA at a great price for upgrade to a data transfer speed that can be up to 10 times faster than standard USB 2.0.
Tagged: 500GB external hard drive, external hard drive, featured, Seagate, Seagate FreeAgent, Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex, Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-portable External Hard Drive, Seagate Ultraportable
Got something to say? Click here to reply